Are you a startup looking to make the most out of AWS free credits? When discounted services are identical to pricey ones, there’s no reason for you to forgo them.
The same holds true for AWS free credits. In this AWS post, you’ll find out about the available grants for startups and other entities:
- What are AWS Free Credits?
- AWS Free Credits For Students
- AWS Free Credits For Startups
- Why should you utilize AWS Free Credits?
- How can you get AWS free credits?
- 1 What are AWS Free Credits and where it’s used for?
- 2 Why Should You Utilize AWS Free Credits?
- 3 How to Get AWS Free Credits: 4 Ways
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Conclusion
What are AWS Free Credits and where it’s used for?
When you sign up for AWS services for your recently launched startup, cloud services can be pretty expensive. But given that the marginal cost of providing these services is low, AWS is willing to offer discounts or credits to retain existing customers and attract new clients.
Whether you’re a student, a business owner, or any other entity that finds AWS cloud services valuable, AWS free credits are a way to save on those services.
They work as an AWS free credits promo code-like mechanism and are applied to AWS cloud bills to pay for the costs associated with eligible services until they expire or are exhausted.
The most valuable AWS free credits are the full-blown credit programs designed to help companies migrate to AWS or to help new businesses get started.
Given that you’re engaged and stay patient, you’ll find many opportunities to wrangle small to medium amounts of AWS free credits, but beyond these, there’s no consistent or simple way to mine these credits.
At the same time, it’s important to understand here that AWS free credits are ultimately nothing more than a sales tactic, so don’t expect them to cover your costs completely.
As you slide faster and further into the AWS ecosystem, they’re meant to reduce friction. Hence, we advise against structuring your finances around AWS free credits.
Let’s now study why you should seek AWS free credits:
Why Should You Utilize AWS Free Credits?
Here are the most compelling reasons to utilize AWS free credits:
- To amplify your business scope around the world and administer your technologies where appropriate.
- To save IT costs as you won’t have to invest in physical framework and provision them based on your needs.
- To manage all AWS cloud software, processes, providers, and platforms of the enterprise on a single console.
- To boost the availability of specialized AWS resources so that you can effectively access, save, visualize, and interpret data, and utilize it to make well-informed decisions regarding fundraising and targeting.
- Simultaneously equipping workers, seasonal staff, and interns with virtual desktops without arranging long-term licensing.
- To better able to analyze Big data pipelines, exchanging findings with collaborators, and processing data petabytes.
If you wish to reap the aforementioned benefits, don’t lose a single opportunity to utilize AWS free credits. Let’s find out how to get AWS free credits:
How to Get AWS Free Credits: 4 Ways
If you’re an AWS customer looking to make the most out of AWS free credits, follow these tips to get them:
|Plans and Programs||Ways||Free Credits|
|1. Right AWS Credit Program||AWS Free Credits For Startups||Startups: Up to $100,000|
|AWS Activate Founders||Activated Credits: $1000|
Developer Support Credits: $350
|AWS Imagine Grant Program||$10,000 to $100,000|
|AWS Cloud Credit||Unlimited|
|AWS Free Credits For Students||750 Hours|
|2. Stay Engaged with AWS||Via promotional emails, Events, Meetings||Can earn $100 Monthly|
|3. Asking AWS or a Reseller||Contacting Reseller directly||No Fixed Amount|
|4. Turn to Startup Communities||Reach out to the communities TechCrunch, Product Hunt, Secret||$1000 to $5000|
Let us now discuss each in detail below.
1. Apply for the Right AWS Credit Program
There are various factors that affect determine much credit you’re eligible for. The most important aspect is the type of business you’re in. Other factors include what you’re building for your business and what stage of funding your firm is in.
AWS Free Credits For Startups-
- If you’re a startup that was launched within the past 10 years and haven’t received funding beyond series A, you’re eligible for AWS Activate Portfolio.
- It covers support, training, and services with credits of up to $100,000. But the exact amount of credit you receive will depend on several factors.
AWS Activate Founders–
- The AWS Activate Founders is another program designed for small unfunded companies. If you’re a bootstrapped startup, you should be eligible for it.
- It provides qualifying businesses with $1000 and $350 in-service credits and support credits, respectively.
- For creative entrepreneurs, the credit of $1000 can go a long way for the first business year. If you’re new to AWS, the support credits may also prove highly valuable.
AWS Imagine Grant Program–
- For nonprofits, Amazon offers the AWS Imagine Grant program offering substantial promotional credits, ranging from $10,000 to $100,000. The eligibility requirements for these grants aren’t clear enough.
- But it seems like the credits are available to organizations leveraging AWS services in a conspicuous or innovative way or to firms that need to migrate their workloads to the cloud.
- In addition to promotional credits, the program also offers marketing, training, and cash support. But again, the program is only offered to selected nonprofits.
AWS Cloud Credit–
- The AWS Cloud Credit for Research is yet another AWS free credit targeted toward academic researchers.
- For those building a public science-as-a-service application or optimizing cloud computing for research workloads, the program offers an unlimited amount of credit.
AWS Free Credits For Students-
- If you’re a student, looking to build cloud computing skills, AWS Education is an AWS free credit for you! It works as a hub for students, providing them access to promotional credits.
- There’s a lot of ambiguity around the exact amount and the program is primarily for educational purposes.
2. Stay Engaged with AWS
As a beginner, you’ll likely find that the AWS educational and marketing landscape is confusing and vast. Yet, by staying active with it, you’ll get more and more opportunities to get promotional credits.
- It’s true that you’ll start getting offers when you sign up for an AWS account and opt to receive promotional emails.
- However, the marketing emails you receive will still depend on how engaged you are with AWS. Plus, the offers arrive unpredictably.
- For instance, if you keep registering for events, you’ll likely receive surveys around them. Filling out those surveys, as well as random ones, will earn your AWS survey credit that is equivalent to the AWS free credits.
- In other words, your odds of receiving more credits will largely depend on your engagement with AWS.
- Another effective way to earn AWS credits in a reliable way is to start publishing Alexa skills. By consistently publishing skills, you can earn credits of $100 per month.
- But this strategy should only be useful if you’re genuinely passionate about creating Alexa skills. Plus, keep in mind that these credits aren’t transferable, nor do they rollover.
- Attending live events, shopping on the AWS marketplace, and watching webinars are some other ways of earning promotional credits. To stay current on these deals, you’ll need to visit tradeshow booths, read newsletters, and attend events.
3. Asking AWS or a Reseller
While you can’t use this tactic on an ongoing basis, there are certainly legitimate reasons to ask AWS or their partner for an incentive or monetary break to cover unexpected costs or save money.
For instance, if you used a new service for the first time but forgot to shut it down, failed to understand a Free Tier properly, or committed another mistake that resulted in a spike in your AWS bill, you can raise a support ticket, explaining your situation.
Typically, AWS will compensate you for such mishaps either partially or entirely, depending on the situation. Understandably, AWS will become less accommodating with every subsequent request.
When working with an AWS partner, it’s important to know that they often possess access to discounted pricing and promotional credits.
If you’re faced with a reasonable need or find yourself in a bind, they do have some wiggle room to financially help but aren’t in a position to transfer promotional credits to you directly.
4. Turn to Startup Communities
There exist many communities like TechCrunch, Product Hunt, Secret, etc. that provide perks in the form of AWS promotional credits to their subscribers.
For instance, as an Extra Crunch subscriber on TechCrunch, you’ll be able to access its members-only entrepreneur community. As soon as you register for an annual subscription costing $99, you receive AWS promotional credits of $1000.
Similarly, if you’re an entrepreneur struggling to build your business, subscribe to Y Combinator’s free virtual incubator program called Startup School. As a subscriber, you’ll get access to an AWS Activate program’s version, receiving up to $3000 in AWS credits.
Moreover, a members-only portal called Secret offers resources and deals to startups. You’ll need to pay $199 for an annual membership, but as soon as you register, you’ll get access to AWS promotional credits of $5000. Similar to the Activate program offered by AWS itself, this program is only meant for startups.
Q: Can You Sell AWS Credits?
Yes, you can be a reseller for AWS credits. In fact, there’s a huge market for reselling AWS credits if you know a lot about it and can organize useful solutions for non-technical customers.
Q: Is AWS Educate Free Of Cost?
With no cost to join, AWS Educate will provide you with hands-on access to AWS training resources, collaboration forums, technology, and course content.
Q: Does AWS Free Credits Expire?
From the date your AWS free credits are issued, your credits will remain valid for one or two years.
On the login page of your AWS Activate Console or credits page of your AWS Billing and Cost Management Console, you can view the expiration date of your AWS credits.
Q: How to buy AWS Credits?
You cannot buy AWS Credits directly but that is provided by AWS to its partners and sellers and customers to use themselves or for promotion, which they can sell, and the price depends on the bargain.
You may also like below AWS blogs as well.
- Install AWS CLI On Mac And Windows?
- How Much Does AWS Certification Cost
- How To Become AWS Certified?
- What Is AWS Well-Architected Framework
By now, you should have developed an in-depth understanding of AWS free credits. We truly hope that this guide helps you access AWS free credits and make significant cost savings while making the best use of AWS services.
I am an Amazon Web Services Professional, having more than 11 years of experience in AWS and other technologies. Extensively working in various AWS tools like S3, Lambda, API, Kinesis, Load Balancers, EKS, ECS and many more. Working as a Solution Architect and Technology Lead for Architecting and implementing the same for different clients.