What are IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, and DBaaS are cloud-based services that provide feasibility and enhancement of customer experience? Read on to learn about them in-depth.
Cloud computing has changed how we interpret and manage customer service on a larger scale. It has altered the way we create and present products to customers and enhanced their experience by attending to customers’ needs.
The widespread use of cloud computing has increased the understanding of cloud service models like IaaS, SaaS, PaaS, and DBaaS.
These cloud services are unique yet capable of working together should the need arise.
They can expertly assist with workflow processes to provide a reliable backbone infrastructure for a product, eliminating the need and cost of hardware.
Let’s look at these cloud services and see how they work individually and together.
Quick SaaS Vs Paas Vs IaaS
- Software as a Service
- With this, we can use the software that is offered by the provider. No need to download or install. Just plug and play.
- Hosted remotely but managed centrally.
- The user is not bothered about updates and patching; they are all managed by the provider.
- Available anywhere with an internet connection.
- Example: AWS SNS.
- Platform as a Service
- This is a platform that offers built-in software that can be used to quickly create, customize and deploy applications.
- Resources here can be scaled up and down based on business needs.
- Multiple users can work simultaneously in the same environment.
- This service also includes web services and DBaaS which has multiple database options to choose from.
- Example: AWS Elastic Beanstalk.
- Infrastructure as a Service
- This is just like a data center but in the cloud and managed by the provider.
- Charged as per the usage.
- Highly Scalable.
- Single hardware has the capacity to support multiple users.
- Example: AWS EC2.
IaaS: Infrastructure as a Service
What Is IaaS in Simple Words?
IaaS is Infrastructure as a Service—a cloud-based service that increases the operational scope. It is a perfect computing resource package that provides scalability for software deployment and other operations.
What Is IaaS in Cloud Computing?
IaaS provides a virtual environment with cloud resources that is similar to on-premise work except for cloud computing.
With Infrastructure as a Service, one can easily make workloads faster and more flexible for everyone. It provides various services for ease of work with infrastructure components, and these services include:
- Detailed billing
- Load balancing
What Is IaaS in Azure?
Azure Infrastructure as a Service increases the value of IT investments regardless of its time to create a service or product. Some of the benefits of using Azure IaaS include:
- Innovate on your terms to run apps in distributed locations.
- Benefit from optimizing costs while enjoying the flexibility and scalability of a comprehensive infrastructure.
- Consistently work anywhere with on-premise, hybrid, or multi-cloud environments.
What Is IaaS in AWS?
IaaS is among the top 3 cloud service models for Amazon Web Services (AWS). It works similarly to a standard cloud computing service with the additional benefit of Amazon’s security and data storage space. Other benefits include:
- Access to Networking structures
- High-level of flexibility
- Management control
- Similarity with existing IT resources
What Is IaaS Example?
Infrastructure as a Service in cloud computing is commonly used for:
- Windows Azure
- Amazon EC2
- Google Compute Engine
Advantages of IaaS?
Let’s try to summarize a few advantages of IaaS:
- Helps our infrastructure to be Flexible as well as Scalable.
- Enhanced Security.
- Better Performance and reduced expenditure.
- Better handling of HA and DR scenarios.
What are the limitations Of IaaS?
We now know the advantages of IaaS, so let’s check out its limitations as well:
- Lack of control and over-dependency.
- The problem is maintaining and upgrading the system.
- Somewhat less flexible.
- We don’t have much control over security.
PaaS: Platform as a Service
What Is PaaS in Simple Terms?
PaaS is Platform as a Service a third party that provides software and hardware tools online for a company or business.
PaaS tools are used for application development where the PaaS service provider hosts those tools on its own infrastructure.
What Is PaaS in Cloud Computing with Example?
PaaS is a third-party service, but it does not replace an organization’s IT infrastructure. The cloud model is used for software or application development while the service is hosted on the service provider’s cloud platform.
When a business or company has to use Platform as a Service, they access it using a web browser. Examples of PaaS services include:
- Application development
- Application design
- Application testing
- Application deployment
- Web service and database integration, etc.
What Is PaaS in Azure?
Azure PaaS is not different from the standard service description. However, some specific services separate it from other platforms:
- Logic Apps: These are used to automate business processes without hosting any app on the platform.
- Web Apps: Applications written in Python, Java, PHP, Node.js, .NET, etc., are usually run using Azure PaaS. Web apps are abstracted from a Web Server like Tomcat or IIS.
- Web Jobs: They work within web apps or mobile apps and do not require any coding.
- Mobile Apps: Azure PaaS can host the backend of mobile applications.
What Is PaaS in AWS?
Amazon uses PaaS in the form of AWS Lambda. It is a dependable service with a robust PaaS for developers.
AWS Lambda provides a standard runtime environment for developers to test their code. It’s serverless, so there is no supervision required. Without Lambda, no AWS service can work.
What Is PaaS Service?
It is an infrastructure that includes:
- Business Intelligence (BI) services
- Database Management Systems, etc.
What Is PaaS Example?
PaaS is a vital cloud service model that is used by
- Microsoft Azure Services
- Google App Engine
- AWS Elastic Beanstalk
- Red Hat OpenShift
- IBM Cloud
What Is PaaS Used for?
Platform as a Service has various uses, but the most common ones are:
- Finding patterns and insights to predict investment and returns the output.
- Building cloud-based applications that permit customers to build their applications within the software.
- Enhancing the work of existing applications.
Although many cloud service providers widely use PaaS, some of the best ones based on scalability and infrastructure are:
- Amazon AWS
- App42 PaaS
- App Agile
- Heirloom PaaS
- OpenShift Online, etc.
Advantages of PaaS?
So, what are the benefits of PaaS:
- Less upfront investment helps in cost reduction.
- Global presence as its highly available.
- Good in terms of scalability.
- Better productivity as we do not have to think about the environment.
- Updates are automatic by the provider.
- Supports many OS and apps.
What are the limitations Of PaaS?
So, what are the limitations of using PaaS, let’s check it out:
- Data Security, the user has to make sure the data is encrypted and secure.
- Lack of control, as the user has to rely on the provider’s capacity.
- May face compatibility issues as all the apps are not cloud compatible.
- Also has integration issues, as two PaaS processes cannot be integrated.
SaaS: Software as a Service
What Is SaaS Model?
SaaS is Software as a Service that provides program access to users via the Internet. The software access is based on subscriptions with the help of external servers. Installation of software on a user device is not required.
What Is SaaS Platform?
SaaS is a subscription-based cloud service model. When the SaaS Platform is in use, it enables the distribution, selling, and management of cloud-based services and software solutions.
What Is SaaS in Cloud Computing?
SaaS is a commonly used service for businesses and organizations in cloud computing.
Due to the use of the internet as a medium, SaaS efficiently delivers applications to users with the help of third-party providers. Most Software as a Service (SaaS) apps can run using web browsers.
What Is SaaS Industry?
The software as a Service model facilitates many industries regardless of their customer base.
The software products range from project management and financial services to content management and eCommerce. These cloud-based services combine to create a SaaS industry that improves user experience.
What is SaaS Company?
A company that creates, distributes, and manages Software as a Service product is called a SaaS company. The service is provided over the Internet.
What Is SaaS Business Model?
SaaS is only successful when the software service’s creation, distribution, and management are flawless.
Companies use the SaaS business model to provide users the software access via mobile, desktop, or web apps. Most of the time, the model works best with monthly or yearly subscriptions.
What Are SaaS Sales?
Companies that create a web-based software for mass distribution purposes require a process to streamline the work.
That process is called SaaS sales. The clients can be companies, meaning B2B software service providers, or individuals working within or outside an organization.
What Is SaaS Marketing?
Due to the increased demand and supply of SaaS products, a new process is generated called SaaS marketing. In this, companies build awareness and facilitate their users in understanding the software they use.
Saas Common Examples
- Google Workspace,
- Dropbox, Salesforce,
- Cisco WebEx,
- Concur, GoToMeeting
What Are SaaS Solutions?
A service that enables users to connect using cloud-based applications on a web browser, desktop, or mobile device. Email service, calendar entries, finance management, etc., are examples of SaaS solutions.
Which SaaS Components Are Built on IaaS?
SaaS components that are built on IaaS are
- Application Server Auto Scale Group
- Web Server Auto Scale Group
- Container Cluster
Advantages of SaaS?
Let’s have a look at the advantages of SaaS:
- No upfront cost is involved.
- Installation, maintenance, and upgrade are not required.
- Scale as per your needs.
- Good security.
What are the limitations Of SaaS?
Let’s find out the drawbacks of using SaaS:
- The provider manages to control, so the user has less control over systems.
- Little to no customization.
- There might be more latency in SaaS.
- SaaS protects the application securely, but measures have to be taken to secure the data as well.
In order to summarise common iaaS, paaS, saaS examples
|SaaS||Google Workspace, Dropbox, |
Salesforce, Cisco WebEx,
|PaaS||Microsoft Azure Services|
Google App Engine
AWS Elastic Beanstalk
Red Hat OpenShift
Apache Stratos, OpenShift
Google Compute Engine (GCE),
DBaaS: Database as a Service
What Is Database as a Service (DBaaS)?
Database as a Service is a model based on cloud infrastructure to enable the access of databases to users without any physical setup.
Databases usually require on-premise software or hardware installation, but the need is eliminated with DBaaS configuration.
What Is DBaaS Oracle?
Oracle provides a database management platform for users on the cloud. It’s an alternative to on-premise database solutions. Oracle DBaaS is a reliable service with a secure database platform for the organization.
What Is DBaaS SQL Server?
SQL Server DBaaS is a database management service that provides users with an SQL Server environment. Buying new hardware and managing database deployments does not remain a problem anymore.
What Is DBaaS in Cloud Computing?
DBaaS is an essential cloud-based service as it solves the problem of hardware and software setup costs. As a service, DBaaS is affordable for users, and anyone can access it within an organization. It saves time for developers and IT staff while providing an opportunity to work in an agile environment.
IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, and DBaaS are cloud-based services that have solved many hardware and software-related issues for individuals and companies.
When processes become more manageable for users, customer experience is enhanced.
With these cloud-based service models, we can ensure that users can easily operate their applications and databases in a flexible manner over the Internet without worrying about offline problems.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is DBaaS a PaaS?
DBaaS is a database service that can be defined as a focused PaaS. Platform as a Service can be any platform, but DBaaS only provides database solutions.
Q: Is DBaaS a IaaS?
IaaS is a cloud server with no need for hardware, and DBaaS is similar. It provides server environment benefits to the customers just like IaaS does.
Q: Is MongoDB Atlas a PaaS or SaaS?
It is a NoSQL service. MongoDB Atlas can be broadly described as PaaS since DBaaS is similar. MongoDB Atlas is scalable with licenses, database provision, maintenance, and support.
Q: What is IaaC?
IaaC is infrastructure as a code. For example, we have Cloudformation provided by AWS. This service is used to write your infrastructure as a form of code which AWS will execute and create the required infrastructure for you.
This service is also provided by a third party like Hashicorp Terraform.
I am an Amazon Web Services Professional, having more than 11 years of experience in AWS and other technologies. Extensively working in various AWS tools like S3, Lambda, API, Kinesis, Load Balancers, EKS, ECS, and many more. Working as a Solution Architect and Technology Lead for Architecting and implementing the same for different clients. He provides expert solutions around the world and especially in countries like the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. Check out the complete profile on About us.